Better Care Better Jobs Act (BCBJA)
In March of 2021, President Biden proposed a major $400 billion investment in Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) as part of the American Jobs Plan.
On June 24, 2021, The Better Care Better Jobs Act was introduced to operationalize and expand the proposal in the Senate as S.2210 and in the House as H.R.4131. The bills would enhance Medicaid funding for HCBS and encourage innovative models that benefit care recipients and direct care workers.
Home care is the most cost-effective, fiscally responsible, and desired setting of care. Americans prefer to receive services and supports at home, but benefits and eligibility vary across states leaving almost 820,000 Americans remaining on waitlists for years.
There is currently a national shortage of Direct Support Professionals to provide support and care to people with disabilities and seniors. Over a 50% turnover rate, low wages, and sustained vacancies, leaves clients with none or inadequate support.
The Better Care Better Jobs Act (S. 2210/H.R. 4131) would make key improvements to the Medicaid program addressing both patient and caregiver challenges.
• Permanently increase the Federal Medical Assistance Percentage (FMAP) by 10% for HCBS.
• Expand HCBS to require personal care services, family caregiver supports, and respite care.
• Address and annually update HCBS payment rates with an opportunity for public input.
• Update and develop training opportunities for the workforce.
• Require a maintenance of effort mandating that new funds supplement and not supplant current outlays.
• Make permanent spousal impoverishment protections for recipients of HCBS.
• Make permanent the Medicaid Money Follows the Person program.
TAKE ACTION NOW!
Act Now: Urge your Members of Congress to meet the needs of people with disabilities, their families, and the direct care workforce!
- Call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 (voice) or (202) 224-3091 (TTY) and ask to be connected to your Senators or Representatives.
- Find phone numbers and websites for Senators at senate.gov and Representatives at house.gov/representatives.
- Find who your Representative is house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative.
- You can Tweet your Senators and Representatives at tweetcongress.org.
- You can also use Resistbot to turn texts into faxes, mail, or hand-delivered letters by texting “RESIST” to 50409.
Please support the $400 billion Better Care Better Jobs Act, which will expand home- and community-based services (HCBS) that helps people with disabilities and seniors live with dignity in their homes and communities. It includes services such as help with daily activities, transportation, support while on the job, care coordination, and more. It addresses the direct care workforce crisis. These services enable people to maintain their independence
and stay active in their communities.
- The Arc
Act Now: Tell Congress to Pass the Better Care Better Jobs Act, a Historic Investment in Disability Services
- Fact Sheets on how the Better Care Better Jobs Act would benefit each state and the nation as a whole
- American Network of Community Options and Resources.
- Act Now to Strengthen Your Disability Supports
- Exceptional Children’s Foundation
Tell Congress: When It Comes To Funding HCBS, We Can’t Afford Not To!
- KAISER FAMILY FOUNDATION
How Could $400 Billion New Federal Dollars Change Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services?
- United Spinal Association
Support Full Funding for the Better Care Better Jobs Act
- Senate Bill S.2210 – Better Care Better Jobs Act 117th Congress (2021-2022)
- House Bill H.R.4131 – Better Care Better Jobs Act
117th Congress (2021-2022)
- The Arc